Last updated December 15, 2017
1. CUSTOMER PRIVACY STATEMENT
Mellow Inc. (“Mellow”) knows that you care about how your personal information is used and shared. Our statement describes how we treat your information. We are committed to the important goal of protecting your privacy and personally identifiable information. This privacy statement tells you about how we collect, use, and disclose information about you in connection with your access or use our website www.cookmellow.com, mobile applications, software to use your Mellow™ Sous-Vide machine, other products and services, or when you interact with us (collectively the “Services”). By using the Services, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
2. WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
“Personal Information” means personally identifiable information such as your name, residential address, e-mail address, credit card particulars, mailing and billing information, and includes information about your product and service inquiries, usage of the Services, and other information that you provide to us. Publicly available information, such as a public directory listing of your name, address, telephone number and electronic address, is not considered Personal Information.
3. COLLECTION: INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
We collect Personal Information you provide to us. Examples of when we collect your Personal Information are when you create an account to use our Services, pay for the Services, or interact with the various Services.
4. COLLECTION: INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
We collect Personal Information from you automatically. When you use the Services, we collect your Personal Information, for example:
- Log-in Information: information about your computer, IP address, user name, password, security questions, use of our Services including particulars, and your browser.
- Transaction Information: information about your transactions with us including date, products purchased or returned, amount of transaction, request, and transaction summary. No payment card information is used except to process the transaction.
- Location Information: information about your location when you use the Services.
- Computer, Tablet, Mobile Phone Information: information about all the hardware devices you use to access our Services including operating system and version, hardware model, wireless network particulars, and your use of the Services with these devices.
- Information from Tracking Technologies like Cookies: information collected through cookies and other various technologies about your interaction with the Services such as browsing and purchasing history. These technologies can tell us what Services our customers use and how many times. You can choose to refuse to accept cookies, however, if you do so, you may not be able to use our Services.
- Information from Third Parties: your information from other sources like your social media accounts. If you choose to use our Services by first logging-in through a social media platform or if you link a social media platform with any of our Services, we may collect all the information about you on the social media platform. Through use of our Services you permit us to have ongoing access to certain information from your other accounts through other service providers, which includes your profile photo, email address, gender, birthday, location, your list of friends and their contact information, people you follow and/or who follow you, the posts or the 'likes' you make. We may also receive information (e.g. content viewed and information about advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on, etc.) from your interaction with our Services and content.
- Information Collected from our Software Programs: information about your use of your Mellow™ Sous-Vide machine, what you cook, when you cook, the temperature of the machine and water tank, your cooking and recipe choices, and technical information about your home network.
5. USE OF INFORMATION
We may use your Personal Information in any of the following ways:
- Services Improvement: to improve our products and services offering to you that takes into account how you prefer to use our Services.
- New Products and Services: to provide you with information about products and services that may be of interest to you.
- Advertisements: to provide you with advertisements and promotional items from us or from third party partners such as Facebook concerning products, services, and other things that may be of interest to you.
- Technical Support: to assist with your use and management of the Services, for example, examining the technical information about your hardware device and your network.
- Transactions: to process transactions between us.
- Interact with You: to better understand you and your needs by examining and analyzing the information we have collected from you.
- Security: to enhance our security measures to protect your secure use of our Services.
- Monitor Use of Products and Services: to analyze your use of our Services and your Mellow™ Sous-Vide machine so that we can improve our Services and our machine to better suit how you use and wish to use them.
- Contests: to permit you to join and participate in contests and promotions, and giveaways that we may offer from time to time.
- Learn More About You: to learn more about you and how our Services and your Mellow™ Sous-Vide machine fit within your life by gathering together information about you from social media platforms and the information we have about you.
- Personalize Your Use of the Services: if you interact with our Services you may have the opportunity to comment on and show you “like” something in a public forum, in those instances we may link your Personal Information to your interactions such as your profile picture or favourite recipes.
6. DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
To enable us to more efficiently provide the products and Services you have requested from us, Mellow may share your Personal Information with others in the following circumstances:
- with third parties who are acting on our behalf as our agents, suppliers or service providers; they are provided only with such information as is necessary for them to carry out their tasks;
- with your consent or direction;
- as a part of aggregated information of all users of Mellow’s Services.
- in the case that Mellow or its assets, or a portion of them, may be purchased or sold or in case Mellow requires financing;
- if required by law or in the case that your conduct has breached any terms or conditions of use of, or policies concerning, Mellow products or Services or Mellow finds your conduct inappropriate;
- if you take advantage of some of the features of our Services, your Personal Information may be disclosed, for example, your favourite recipes; and
- if you choose to access Mellow’s good or Services with or via third-party services, then your Personal Information may be disclosed to such service provider.
- if you post information or content, such as by posting photos, product reviews or commenting on a blog, or when you interact with our Services through social media sites, plug-ins or other applications, this information may become public.
Mellow will try to ensure that information about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, please inform Mellow of any change of name, address or other information. In the event you have questions about the accuracy of factual information we have collected about you, you will have access to that information in order to verify and update it. If we have disclosed inaccurate information about you to a third party, we will be pleased to contact the third party in order to correct the information.
Mellow is committed to protecting your privacy. Security measures, such as locked filing cabinets, restricted access or the use of passwords and encryption have been adopted to protect your Personal Information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Our employees have been trained to respect your privacy at all times and those employees with access to your Personal Information shall use your Personal Information strictly in accordance with our Privacy Statement and the laws applicable to each specific business. If Mellow hires any party that is located outside of the USA or Canada and transfers your Personal Information to that party outside of USA or Canada, Mellow will ensure that such third party complies with this statement and USA and Canadian law when handling your Personal Information.
If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information or if you simply want to know whether we have any of your Personal Information on file, you may contact us. Except in limited circumstances, as specifically provided by applicable privacy legislation, Mellow can tell you whether they hold Personal Information about you. They can tell you the source of the information, allow you access to your Personal Information and find an account of the use that has been made or is being made of the information and the third parties to which it has been disclosed.
Mellow will only refuse access to information about you in those circumstances permitted or required by applicable privacy legislation. If Mellow refuses access to you, it will provide you with the reasons for its refusal upon request. Exceptions may include information that contains references to other individuals, information that cannot be disclosed for legal, security or commercial proprietary reasons, and information that is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege. Mellow will respond to your requests for access in accordance with applicable privacy legislation.
We will seek your prior consent to the collection, use and disclosure of the information as required by applicable privacy legislation. Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you can refuse to consent to our collection, use or disclosure of information about you. You may also withdraw your consent to any further collection, use or disclosure of information about you at any time by giving us reasonable notice. If our intended disclosures or uses of information change, we will notify you accordingly.
10. QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you have any questions or concerns about the Personal Information about you held by Mellow or about the compliance by Mellow with our Privacy Statement, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mellow has procedures in place to receive and respond to complaints or inquiries about its handling of Personal Information. They will describe the complaint procedures to anyone who makes inquiries or lodges complaints.
If you are not satisfied with the response from us after making a complaint, you may have recourse to additional remedies under applicable privacy legislation. For further information, please contact the federal Privacy Commissioner or your provincial Privacy Commissioner, as applicable.
The foregoing policies are effective as of the “Last Update” date stated above. Mellow reserves the right to change this policy at any time with reasonable notice to users posted on the Website of the existence of a new Privacy Statement. This statement and the policies outlined here are not intended to and do not create any contractual or other legal rights in or on behalf of any party.
12.TEN PRINCIPLES OF FAIR INFORMATION PRACTICES
- Accountability. Mellow is responsible for the Personal Information under its control and shall designate one or more individuals who shall be accountable for the company’s compliance with the procedures and principles set out in our Privacy Statement.
- Identifying Purpose. Mellow will identify the purpose for which Personal Information is collected at or before the time the information is collected. The purposes for which information is collected, used or disclosed by Mellow must be those that a reasonable person would consider are appropriate in the circumstances.
- Consent. The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information, except where consent is not required by privacy legislation, for example, where the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information is solely for journalistic, artistic or literary purposes.
- Limiting Collection. Mellow shall limit the collection of Personal Information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the company. Personal Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use; Disclosure and Retention. Personal Information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal Information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected.
- Accuracy. Personal Information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards. Personal Information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness. Mellow shall make readily available to its customers and employees specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of Personal Information.
- Individual Access. Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her Personal Information and shall be given access to that information except where Mellow is permitted or required by law not to disclose Personal Information to the individual customer or employee. An individual customer or employee shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information disclosed to him or her and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging Compliance. An individual customer or employee shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the principles in our Privacy Statement to Mellow.